White Hall fire chief Garry Sheppard says his department received the call to 635 North Main just before noon. He says four adults and four children were living at the house. The adults, Conrad, Audrey, Levi and Michelle Whitehead, and two children were home when the fire started.
Sheppard says everyone barely escaped without injury. He says the front side of the home was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. Sheppard says the fire was under control in about 10 minutes.
Sheppard says the fire began near a couch in the front of the house. He says it appears to have been an electrical fire that started on accident. Sheppard estimates damage to the house to be about $48,000. He says the Whitehead family lost everything in the fire.
The American Red Cross Central Prairie Office is providing emergency financial assistance to the family for their emergency-related needs.
The community can help those affected by future disasters by volunteering with the American Red Cross and/or making a contribution to the American Red Cross Local Disaster Relief.
Contributions Red Cross Local Disaster Relief may be sent to 700 N. Prairie Street, Jacksonville, IL 62650 or donations can be made online at redcross.org/icac.